Saturday, September 1, 2012

About God

Let me start with the first and I suppose the greatest thing God has done: He created the universe.  He spoke it into existence.  If that doesn't show the ultimate greatness in power, I don't know what does.  In addition to making a universe that is beyond big - beyond our ability to measure - He created an Earth that is full of diversity.  There's even a whole bunch of interesting things that go on at the microscopic level.  The world shows us the remarkable creativity of our LORD.

Its pretty obvious, I'm writing a note about God.  This is the greatest subject that I can possibly write on.  And its the most sensitive subject for me, because I sincerely fear God.  I must be very careful of what I write and how I write it.  But its also a pleasure to write about God.

So I opened the note by speaking of His act of creation.  He created the universe, which makes Him the universal God - the one and only God.  Yet He has revealed Himself to us in particular ways.  This makes Him a particular God.  He is not a vague concept or some God of all religions.  He has called Himself the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.  He revealed His name to Moses.  In English we call Him Yahweh or Jehovah.  He led the Israelites out of Egypt, out of slavery, and into the promised land.  So it is said that He is the God of Israel.  He did not choose to reveal Himself through the stars.  He did not reveal Himself in a vague way through the imaginations of people all over the world.  He revealed Himself in specific ways, through a chosen nation, because He is a personal God.  As the Scripture says of Abraham, "through you I will bless the nations."  God chose a nation, that nation is Israel.  And He has revealed Himself through Israel, by deeds, by prophets, by Scripture, and most of all by the Christ.  But never did He go around Israel; He blesses the nations through Israel.

There is way too much to write about God that I could possibly include in this note.  A good way to learn about God is to read the Bible.  He has not left us on our own.  He is not distant or unknown.  He is near to the person that does His will.  His Spirit dwells with him.  Even though He needs nothing from man, for some reason He loves man.  He was willing to suffer and die on a cross the reconcile man unto Himself.  And so He stands at the door waiting for you to knock.  He abundantly reveals Himself to the person that seeks to know Him.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  -Jesus in Matthew 7:7

I've decided that I will continue this in another note, because there is so much to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Unimpressive in person. But always praying that these letters I write will be weighty and forceful. I serve the Almighty as a servant of Christ. I strive to conquer hearts and minds with the word of God. I am nothing, but the Holy Spirit living inside me is omnipotent. By Him I can run and not grow weary, or walk and not be faint. All glory and honor be to God and to Jesus the Christ.