Friday, August 10, 2012

Connecting Israel and Biblical Prophecy

Thus says the Lord: I have returned to Zion and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem, and Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts, the holy mountain.  Zechariah 8:3

What has happened, and continues to happen, in our lifetime is no ordinary thing.  Jerusalem is not populated for no reason.  Israel does not defend herself for no reason.  I'll go through many of the prophecies concerning Israel, mostly what is in the Old Testament, and relate them to the present day.  Not every prophecy concerning Israel will be covered, but a number will.  And some of the things I'll say are speculation.  Other things are more certain.  But you be the judge of that.

There's three main parts to this:
1) Israel leading up to the war
2) Israel during the war
3) Israel after the war

Israel leading up to the war 
The final chapters of Ezekiel provide us with a sort of timeline.  At least from chapter 36 on the order of events is chronological.

"And you, son of man, prophesy to the mountains of Israel, and say, O mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord.  Ezekiel 36:1

The prophecy is addressed to the mountains of Israel...

"But you, O mountains of Israel, shall shoot forth your branches and yield your fruit to my people Israel, for they will soon come home.  Ezekiel 36:8

The mountains of Israel shall prosper, and the people of Israel shall return to them...

"And I will multiply people on you, the whole house of Israel, all of it. The cities shall be inhabited and the waste places rebuilt.  Ezekiel 36:10

Their numbers shall increase in the land of Israel...

"And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.  Ezekiel 36:26

Israel is given a new heart and a new spirit...

Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live."  So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army.  Ezekiel 37:9-10

The valley of dry bones in Ezekiel 37 is a representation of Israel.  The bones coming to life at the command of Ezekiel are the Israeli People.  It is in essence another way of showing that the heart of stone is taken away and a heart of flesh is given.  This is a prophecy of the spiritual condition of Israel.  Ezekiel gives us the most thorough description of what has happened over the last 60 years.  The Jews have returned to their homeland.  The land of Israel is prosperous.  And more and more we see a new heart and new spirit in the Israeli People.

"I will restore the fortunes of my people Israel, and they shall rebuild the ruined cities and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and drink their wine, and they shall make gardens and eat their fruit.  I will plant them on their land, and they shall never again be uprooted out of the land that I have given them," says the Lord your God.  Amos 9:14-15

And behold, the angel who talked with me came forward, and another angel came forward to meet him and said to him, "Run, say to that young man, 'Jerusalem shall be inhabited as villages without walls, because of the multitude of people and livestock in it.  And I will be to her a wall of fire all around, declares the Lord, and I will be the glory in her midst.'"  Up! Up! Flee from the land of the north, declares the Lord. For I have spread you abroad as the four winds of the heavens, declares the Lord.  Up! Escape to Zion, you who dwell with the daughter of Babylon.  For thus said the Lord of hosts, after his glory sent me to the nations who plundered you, for he who touches you touches the apple of his eye: "Behold, I will shake my hand over them, and they shall become plunder for those who served them. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent me.  Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion, for behold, I come and I will dwell in your midst, declares the Lord.  And many nations shall join themselves to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people. And I will dwell in your midst, and you shall know that the Lord of hosts has sent me to you.  And the Lord will inherit Judah as his portion in the holy land, and will again choose Jerusalem.  Zechariah 2:3-12

I always loved the sense of urgency and excitement in that prophecy.  God establishing Israel again is an exciting thing.  He is doing marvelous things, and He shall do even more marvelous things.  Consider also the fact that He says many nations will join themselves to Israel in "that day".  Exactly what "that day" is, I'm not sure, but I think we can be certain that this prophecy, as well as the ones in Ezekiel and Amos, are not referring to the first resettlement of Israel.  The language simply does not match; the language speaks of "never again be uprooted" (the Jews were uprooted by the Romans), and the glorious triumph of Zechariah's prophecy does not match Israel's first resettlement.  It is possible, at least in part, that these prophecies speak of the final resettlement of Israel, which will happen at the return of Christ (see Revelation 20:1-6).  I'll let you be the judge of that, but we can be certain that these prophecies are not speaking about the first resettlement and the second temple.

The war
When we move into Ezekiel 38 and 39 there is a sudden shift.  No longer does Ezekiel prophesy Israel returning, but now he speaks of a great war.  Gog and many nations with him come against the resettled Israel. 

The word of the Lord came to me: "Son of man, set your face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him and say, Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal.  And I will turn you about and put hooks into your jaws, and I will bring you out, and all your army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed in full armor, a great host, all of them with buckler and shield, wielding swords.  Persia, Cush, and Put are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; Gomer and all his hordes; Beth-togarmah from the uttermost parts of the north with all his hordes— many peoples are with you.  Ezekiel 38:1-6

And what happens...

"But on that day, the day that Gog shall come against the land of Israel, declares the Lord God, my wrath will be roused in my anger.  For in my jealousy and in my blazing wrath I declare, On that day there shall be a great earthquake in the land of Israel.  The fish of the sea and the birds of the heavens and the beasts of the field and all creeping things that creep on the ground, and all the people who are on the face of the earth, shall quake at my presence. And the mountains shall be thrown down, and the cliffs shall fall, and every wall shall tumble to the ground.  I will summon a sword against Gog on all my mountains, declares the Lord God. Every man's sword will be against his brother.  With pestilence and bloodshed I will enter into judgment with him, and I will rain upon him and his hordes and the many peoples who are with him torrential rains and hailstones, fire and sulfur.  So I will show my greatness and my holiness and make myself known in the eyes of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord.  Ezekiel 38:18-23

Do I need to add anything to that?  I won't add anything, except to say that Gog represents Turkey.  Now there are other prophecies that make perfect sense in light of this one from Ezekiel.

"Behold, I am about to make Jerusalem a cup of staggering to all the surrounding peoples. The siege of Jerusalem will also be against Judah.  On that day I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples. All who lift it will surely hurt themselves. And all the nations of the earth will gather against it.  On that day, declares the Lord, I will strike every horse with panic, and its rider with madness. But for the sake of the house of Judah I will keep my eyes open, when I strike every horse of the peoples with blindness.  Zechariah 12:2-4

Do you see the similarity?  Look at what else is written:

As in the days when you came out of the land of Egypt, I will show them marvelous things.  The nations shall see and be ashamed of all their might; they shall lay their hands on their mouths; their ears shall be deaf; they shall lick the dust like a serpent, like the crawling things of the earth; they shall come trembling out of their strongholds; they shall turn in dread to the Lord our God, and they shall be in fear of you.  Micah 7:15-17

Does that not sound exactly like Ezekiel 38?  Does it not sound exactly like "and all the people who are on the face of the earth, shall quake at my presence"?  Doesn't it sound exactly like "I will show my greatness and my holiness and make myself known in the eyes of many nations. Then they will know that I am the Lord"?

Israel after the war
This war has a profound impact on Israel.  What is prophesied to happen in Ezekiel 38 and 39 - what will happen, I believe, before this decade is over - first causes Israel to mourn.

"And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.  On that day the mourning in Jerusalem will be as great as the mourning for Hadad-rimmon in the plain of Megiddo.  Zechariah 12:10-11

Who is the firstborn son that they mourn for?  It is Jesus.  This is the day that the Jews realize they were wrong for nearly 2,000 years.  In some way, I'm not exactly sure how, God will reveal that Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God, and Israel will know it.  And they will mourn bitterly.  Following that...

"And those who are far off shall come and help to build the temple of the Lord. And you shall know that the Lord of hosts has sent me to you. And this shall come to pass, if you will diligently obey the voice of the Lord your God."  Zechariah 6:15

The third temple is built!  It will be built by Jews and Christians together, by those living in Israel and by those that are far off.  And look, what do we find in Ezekiel chapters 40 and on?  A description of a temple that has never before been built!  And as for the Dome of the Rock, that will not be an issue; remember what happens in the great war of Gog?  There is an earthquake that brings down every wall in Israel, which will include the Dome of the Rock.  So the Temple Mount will be bare and prepared for its third temple.  Following that...

"For thus says the Lord of hosts: Yet once more, in a little while, I will shake the heavens and the earth and the sea and the dry land.  And I will shake all nations, so that the treasures of all nations shall come in, and I will fill this house with glory, says the Lord of hosts.  The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, declares the Lord of hosts.  The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the Lord of hosts.  Haggai 2:6-9

Riches will come from all over the world.  The third temple will at the very least rival Solomon's Temple, if not surpass it.

"Thus says the Lord of hosts: In those days ten men from the nations of every tongue shall take hold of the robe of a Jew, saying, 'Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.  Zechariah 8:23

All of the nations will know that God is with Israel.  There will be a temple in Jerusalem.  Jerusalem will be the capital of all Christendom.  And people will come from all the nations to seek God in Israel.

There might be some that will say that these prophecies apply to the millennial reign.  And they might be right.  I've found that it is difficult to distinguish between the descriptions of the second resettlement and subsequent events and the resettlement that happens at the second coming of Christ and subsequent millennial reign.  I could be confusing the two, at least in part.  It also could be that things which are about to happen are a foreshadowing of things that will happen at the second coming of Christ.  If that's the case, it would explain why they have such similar descriptions.  I'll let you be the judge of that.

A couple other prophecies
Here are a couple more prophecies that certainly relate, though they might not exactly fit into any of the three main parts I mentioned.  You can place them in the timeline however you think they fit.  But I do think they relate, and it should be fun to cover them.

"Behold, you shall call a nation that you do not know, and a nation that did not know you shall run to you, because of the Lord your God, and of the Holy One of Israel, for he has glorified you.  Isaiah 55:5

Is it possible that this nation is the United States of America?  Not only is it possible, for a number of reasons, its highly likely.
1) The United States has run to Israel.  By anyone's estimation the US and Israel have an ironclad bond.
2) The US is a nation that Israel has not known.  For one thing, the US has only existed for the last 240 years.  And the US is no where near the land of Israel.  All of the nations that Israel has historically known are middle-eastern, European or African.
3) But the woman was given the two wings of the great eagle so that she might fly from the serpent into the wilderness, to the place where she is to be nourished for a time, and times, and half a time.  Revelation 12:14
^^The woman in Revelation 12 is Israel, which is clear from verse one.  I shouldn't have to tell you what I think the wings of a great eagle represent.
4) Find a one dollar bill.  Look at the back of it.  Look at the great eagle.  What is directly above its head?  This is, by the way, the Great Seal of the United States of America.

Then those who feared the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the Lord and esteemed his name.  "They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him.  Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him.  Malachi 3:16-18

I included this last prophecy because its possible that it relates to us.  Who are the God-fearing people that speak to one another?  Unlike a number of people, I hate to give general meanings to passages like this.  I believe that these God-fearing people are a specific people at a specific time, and not some general reference to God-fearing people who speak to each other.  And here's what I wonder: could it be referring to our time?  I don't know.  But I do think that its possible.  And what's cool is that we, who do fear God, are speaking to each other.  We are speaking to each other over the internet; really, to an extent that Christians have never communicated before.  I think this is a wonderful thing.  Just think, maybe - its quite possible - a book of remembrance is being written about all the things that we say to each other.  In other words, its like God is taking notes.  And isn't that so cool?  God would actually care that He would pay attention to the things that we are saying, as if what we say matters?  We can't say for sure if this prophecy is speaking of our own time, but it is possible and we should keep that in mind.  Speak well, my friends.  And keeping speaking to each other.  It is crucial that we share with one another our thoughts and feelings.  We are one body, one church, and of one Spirit.

I pray that this at least causes some interest.  I pray that it helps in some way.  May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Unimpressive in person. But always praying that these letters I write will be weighty and forceful. I serve the Almighty as a servant of Christ. I strive to conquer hearts and minds with the word of God. I am nothing, but the Holy Spirit living inside me is omnipotent. By Him I can run and not grow weary, or walk and not be faint. All glory and honor be to God and to Jesus the Christ.