Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Messianic Prophecies Pt2

A continuation of messianic prophecies

Psalm 22
This psalm is very unique because of the amount of detail in it - details that precisely describe the crucifixion:
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?  What Jesus said on the cross (Matthew 27:46, Mark 15:34)
I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent.  Jesus prayed so hard his sweat was like drops of blood (Luke 22:44)
All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads: "He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him.  Let him deliver him, since he delights in him."  Jesus was mocked and insulted (Luke 22:63-65) and they said "He trusts in God.  Let God rescue him..." (Matthew 27:43)
I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint.  Crucifixion stretches the body and pulls a man's bones out of joint
My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me.  Scientists have concluded that Jesus died from a ruptured heart, which is why there was blood and a watery liquid that flowed from His side when He was pierced by the soldier (John 19:34)
My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.  Jesus said "I am thirsty" on the cross (John 19:28)
Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.  The Jews often referred to Gentiles as dogs (Mark 7:27), and Jesus was surrounded by Romans.  Clearly, they pierced His hands and His feet.
I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me.  None of Jesus' bones were broken, unlike the two thieves whose legs were broken (John 19:32-33)
They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.  The soldiers cast lots for Jesus' clothing (Mark 15:24)
For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.

If you want to know who the "afflicted one" is, you can turn to Isaiah 52 and 53:
See, my servant will act wisely; he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.  Just as there were many who were appalled at him - his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness - so will he sprinkle many nations, and kings will shut their mouths because of him.  For what they were not told, they will see, and what they have not heard, they will understand.  Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?  He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground.  He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.  He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.  Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.  Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.  But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.  We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.  He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.....  Isaiah 52:13-53:7

You can read more if you like.  And I could expound on the meanings in this prophecy, but isn't it obvious?  Jesus' appearance was marred when He was beaten and hung on the cross.  His blood sprinkles the nations, just like the blood of a sacrifice is sprinkled to consecrate things.  Jesus was despised and rejected; just count how many times the Jews tried to stone Him.  He was pierced for our transgressions (Romans 3:25).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Unimpressive in person. But always praying that these letters I write will be weighty and forceful. I serve the Almighty as a servant of Christ. I strive to conquer hearts and minds with the word of God. I am nothing, but the Holy Spirit living inside me is omnipotent. By Him I can run and not grow weary, or walk and not be faint. All glory and honor be to God and to Jesus the Christ.