Friday, February 18, 2011

Redefining Religion

Here's the way I see the scene today in regards to religion. This is my perspective, and if yours is a bit different, the comment function will work quite well.

I see two sides basically. There are those that are religious and those that are irreligious, even anti-religious. The ones that hate religion speak quite often about "the evils of religion". They tend to consider all religion the same and all of it bad. Now the religion that concerns me is Christianity of course. I couldn't care less what they say about Islam or any other. What they say about Christianity is, in a sense, right, but also wrong. Then there's the other side, which to me, looks like a religious establishment. In America its particularly the protestant establishment. These people, particularly the leaders, have responded to this growing anti-religion sentiment. To do this they have added to their religious dogma. They have not subtracted from their dogma, but atleast in most "evangelical" churches have added the dogma which says "its not a religion but a relationship". The reason I say its dogma is because, if you were to ask them what exactly that means, they wouldn't have much of an explanation. To me its rather ironic that the newest religious dogma is 'its not a religion'. Maybe you disagree.

Since I'm a Christian, here's the question I ask: Does this help seekers any? Is this a real authentic attempt to bring unbelievers into the Church (Bride of Christ)? Or is it just to bring unbelievers into the church (religious institution)? If its the latter, then why say 'its not religion', when clearly its about religion? If its the former, then why is there not a good explanation as to exactly what a relationship with God is? I understand the intent, and I think for most its an honest authentic attempt to bring people in the Church of Christ, but I believe this is the wrong approach.

Its a matter of words. My brothers and sisters, who use the relationship word, mean the same thing that I mean when I use the religion word. We mean the same thing, but what word is the best one to describe being a Christian? I say religion because that's a word that makes sense. People will understand what we mean if we say 'its a religion'. People will be confused if we say 'its a relationship'. Maybe its just me, but I think of things with a common sense view. When I think of relationship, I think of seeing, hearing, touching, etc. In a relationship there is physical contact, atleast that seems typical. But clearly there is no physical contact between any of us and God. Who has seen God? Who has heard the voice of God or touched God? None of us. There may be those Christian mystics that say they hear God all the time, but they are blatant liars. Spiritual contact (the Holy Spirit) is completely different and should not be confused with 'hearing' God. So what about those - quite a few - that have negative associations with the word 'religion'? They think of religion as a bunch of rules set by a priest or pastor. We could just run from the word, and try to use another word to describe Christianity, like 'relationship'. Or we could redefine religion, the Christian religion.

So let me attempt this. The first thing I must do is make the distinction between what is true religion and what is false religion. Christianity is the only true religion (I won't make the argument as to why just here, but these links may help http://www.godandscience.org/, http://carm.org/). But not all religions that claim to be Christianity are true religions. True Christian religion is a set of beliefs that conforms to the Bible, with a thorough exegetical understanding (a proper understanding). The result of this religion is a new view on life, a love of God, a love of life (yours and others), and a steadfast purpose. Many very good things come from the true Christian religion, but you will better see and understand these things only when you experience it. I feel inclined to beg people to just try it, but I always want to make sure that what they are trying is the true version, and not the fake "Christian" versions.

Another important thing to understand is that not all Christians will agree on all things Christian/Bible. We have some disagreements and that's just fine, even good I believe. The things we do agree on, and must agree on, are the basics of the religion. These basics are the things that are clearly taught in the Bible, and are important to believe for a Christian life. There is a saying that goes 'what's plain is main and what's main is plain'. And another important thing is that there was never meant to be divisions in the Church. Denominationalism is not a biblical idea, and if you ask me, I call it evil. The reason of course is because Christians could not agree on doctrinal issues. What we should be doing, rather than dividing into differing groups, is coming together based on our agreements (those basic beliefs) and discussing our disagreements. If we separate, then we don't discuss, and if we don't discuss, then we don't learn. This is also why creeds are meant to be short and only include the basics. The Apostles' Creed is a good one, if you ask me.

My final appeal is to believers and nonbelievers.
For the nonbelievers I say this: Do not think of Christianity just as what you've seen "Christians" do and say. To get an accurate idea of what Christianity is you should either ask many different Christians, or read the Bible with some different Christian viewpoints to help you understand. You may have been raised in a certain kind of religious environment. Do not assume that what you were presented as Christianity is actually Christianity. Changes and perversions have happened over the years. From my experience I can say, being a real Christian is the best thing ever, and words can only begin to describe it. Falling into the real Church is very wonderful indeed.

For the believers I say this: Let us try to present the most pure and accurate description of Christianity to the outside world. We should fight the beliefs that are not Christian but call themselves Christian (like the health and wealth church), however we should not fight (to the extent of dividing) over doctrines that have no significant impact on our Christian life. Let us present a united front to the outside world. Let us also make every effort to present Christianity to the world in a way that makes sense. We do not want to confuse nonbelievers. Rather we should meet people where they are, and try to explain as much about Christianity as will make sense to them. This is why I do not think we should be calling it a relationship. How does that make sense? If you can explain it somehow that will make sense to a nonbeliever, then go ahead; but if not, then you might want to use a word that will give a basic understanding of what Christianity is - religion. Just make sure to emphasize the difference between true religion and false religion.

If you would like to learn more about this, I would suggest reading C.S. Lewis' 'Mere Christianity'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Unimpressive in person. But always praying that these letters I write will be weighty and forceful. I serve the Almighty as a servant of Christ. I strive to conquer hearts and minds with the word of God. I am nothing, but the Holy Spirit living inside me is omnipotent. By Him I can run and not grow weary, or walk and not be faint. All glory and honor be to God and to Jesus the Christ.