Sunday, December 11, 2011

Plain and Profound

When the average person thinks about the Bible, its likely that he doesn't think too much of it.  He might think its just some ancient religious text.  He might think its full of myths.  He might associate it with genealogies.  He probably considers it to be way out of date and irrelevant to the present world.  His first thought about the Bible is not going to be something special.  Those that only have a vague idea of what's in the Bible certainly do not think its special at all.  Its quite plain on the surface.  But why then is the Bible the number one seller of all time?  Despite the seemingly plain and obsolete exterior of Scripture, there is something quite incredible in those pages.  I'll try my best to explain.

I think most of us, if not all of us, have held a view similar to the one above at some point in our own history, and there might be some reading this now that currently hold a view similar to that.  I believe there's a reason for it.  The Bible is indeed very plain on the surface.  But here's the reason: The Bible is not designed to be taken casually, or for a person to only skim the surface.  Those that do only skim the surface will never understand the many wonderful truths inside.  These truths are profound, but they require digging.  Remain on the surface and you will entirely miss these truths.  Every one of us has been there at one point, and many are there right now.  But those of us who went past the surface and dug a little deeper, did so because we were searching for the truth.  There is the key.  Those that seek, find.  Those that do not seek, do not find.  Those that know what is in the Bible, but haven't considered it in depth, do not understand what is profound about Scripture.

I believe this is by design.  I can't prove it, but it makes sense that God would design His word to be this way.  You see, the truth is hidden to those that do not put faith in it and do not seek it.  That is why you could come across a really educated person, who is supposed to be really smart, who does not understand any of the profound truths in Scripture.  To him they are hidden.  To him the Bible is just some ancient text with religious themes.  You could say that God has outsmarted him, and that God has purposefully hidden the most profound axioms from him.  God does this by His wonderful design of Scripture - plain on the surface but profound underneath.  In fact, I doubt that there is any limit to the profundity of Scripture.  The deeper I dig, the more I discover.  The more I discover, the more my mind is blown.  And that continues to this day - I don't know if there is any limit to it.  Only God could do that.  He authors the greatest book of all time, with the most profound truths that have ever existed, and He disguises it as a plain old religious text that seems like nothing special to most people.  The key to unlock the wonders of Scripture is to go searching.  Jesus said it in Matthew 7:7 - "seek and you will find."  Searching the Bible for discovery is the most incredible and joyous adventure that I can think of.  I can testify to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Unimpressive in person. But always praying that these letters I write will be weighty and forceful. I serve the Almighty as a servant of Christ. I strive to conquer hearts and minds with the word of God. I am nothing, but the Holy Spirit living inside me is omnipotent. By Him I can run and not grow weary, or walk and not be faint. All glory and honor be to God and to Jesus the Christ.