Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Trinity in The Old Testament

The doctrine of the Trinity is the doctrine that says God is three Persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - in one God.  The Bible does not include the word "Trinity" in it, nor does the Bible specifically describe this doctrine, but the truth of it is plainly present in Scripture.  Not only is the truth of the Trinity present in the New Testament, but you can see it in the Old Testament as well.  I hope to show you exactly how the Old Testament proves the doctrine of the Trinity of God.

God is one
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.  Deuteronomy 6:4

For who is God besides the LORD?  And who is the Rock except our God?  Psalm 18:31

This is a pretty obvious fact, and its undisputed by all Christians, Jews and even Muslims.

God is more than one
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth and over all creatures that move along the ground."  Genesis 1:26

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.  He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."  Genesis 3:22

"...Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."  Genesis 11:7

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send?  And who will go for us?"  And I said, "Here am I.  Send me!"  Isaiah 6:8

 We see examples of God using the plural pronoun for Himself.

The LORD says to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for you feet."  Psalm 110:1

How can there be two Lords, and one speaking to the other?  The Trinity of God

"Shout and be glad, O Daughter of Zion.  For I am coming, and I will live among you," declares the LORD.  "Many nations will be joined with the LORD in that day and will become my people.  I will live among you and you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me to you..."  Zechariah 2:10-11

God is speaking and He says "the LORD Almighty has sent me to you."  How can that be?  Only the Trinity of God can answer that.

The Father in the Old Testament
He will call out to me, 'You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.'  Psalm 89:26

Yet, O LORD, you are our Father.  We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.  Isaiah 64:8

The Son in the Old Testament
I will proclaim the decree of the LORD:  He said to me, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father....  Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment.  Blessed are all who take refuge in him.  Psalm 2:7,12

Who has gone up to heaven and come down?  Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands?  Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak?  Who has established all the ends of the earth?  What is his name, and the name of his son?  Tell me if you know!  Proverbs 30:4

He said, "Look!  I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods."  Daniel 3:25

In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven.  He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.  He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him.  His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.  Daniel 7:13-14

The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.  Genesis 1:2

Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.  Psalm 51:11

Yet they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit.  So he turned and became their enemy and he himself fought against them.  Isaiah 63:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

Unimpressive in person. But always praying that these letters I write will be weighty and forceful. I serve the Almighty as a servant of Christ. I strive to conquer hearts and minds with the word of God. I am nothing, but the Holy Spirit living inside me is omnipotent. By Him I can run and not grow weary, or walk and not be faint. All glory and honor be to God and to Jesus the Christ.